Five Year Plan
I've spent a long time going along with whatever was in front of my face, either idling time when I had it to idle and putting out the fire closest to me when I didn't have idle time. I haven't really nailed down any long-term goals, except in a very small number of areas. Without setting goals, the only things you can do are idle or put out the closest brush fire.
So, let's try a five-year plan.
- Save $100,000.
- Pay off my student loans completely.
- Get into phenomenal physical shape.
- Reduce my personal property by 80%.
- Purchase better car and donate current one.
- Acquire a place of my own.
- Learn to play my acoustic guitar.
- Formulate a plan for a college degree.
- Become fluent in at least half of these languages.
- Learn to sail.
- Write more effectively.
- Take an acting class.
- Learn Ruby on Rails.
- Gain fluency in object-oriented design.
- Enhance 50 Words functionality.
- Become more of an AJAX expert.
- Study information architecture.
- Build nifty new web projects.
- Write a novel.
- Attend comedy school.
- Take a course on art history.
- Learn photography.
- Be able to perform more than 50 jazz songs.
- Study ballroom dancing.
- Sail the Aegean.
- Backpack across Europe, from Lisbon to Berlin to Istanbul.
- Kayak the San Juan / Gulf Islands.
- Take a road trip across the US and Canada.
- Hike to Macchu Pichu.
- Climb Mt. Fuji.
- Visit Paris.
- Explore Southeastern Australia.
- Join a samba parade in Rio de Janeiro.
- Marvel at the ruins of Ancient Greece.
- Visit the Valley of the Kings in Egypt.
- Wander around Barcelona.
This is a decent start. What's your 5 year plan?